Tag «广州百花园bhy»

Cameroon’s bogus account of journalist’s death is “obscene,” RSF says

first_img Help by sharing this information Cameroon is ranked 134th out of 180 countries and territories in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index, three places lower than in 2019. News CameroonAfrica Condemning abusesProtecting journalists ImpunityViolence According to this official version, Wazizi died in a military hospital in Cameroon’s capital, Yaoundé, on 17 August 2019, four days after being transferred there from Buea, and his death was the “result of a severe sepsis” not of “any act of torture.” The statement also claimed that his family was “in close contact” with him while he was in the hospital and was “informed” of this death. RSF_en A presenter on Buea-based Chillen Media Television (CMTV), Wazizi was arrested in Buea on 2 August 2019 and was held at the police station in Muea, a suburb of Buea, until 7 August, when soldiers came and took him to the headquarters of the 21st Motorized Infantry Battalion in Buea.            Follow the news on Cameroon This was categorically denied by one of Wazizi’s brothers, when reached by RSF. He said neither Wazizi’s lawyers nor any member of the family had any contact with him after soldiers removed him from Muea police station in Buea on 7 August 2019 and no member of the family was ever informed about his death. He also insisted that Wazizi was “in perfect health” at the moment of his arrest by the police on 2 August 2019. Reporters Without Borders (RSF) condemns the bogus account of regional TV presenter Samuel Wazizi’s death that the Cameroonian authorities have provided after finally admitting he died while in military custody ten months ago, and calls for an impartial and independent investigation into the circumstances leading to his death. “The explanations provided by the Cameroonian authorities are obscene and unacceptable,” said Arnaud Froger, the head of RSF’s Africa desk. “Samuel Wazizi’s family was never notified of his death. His brother’s emotion was unmistakable when RSF reached him by phone and he realized the information was now official. The circumstances of this journalist’s death deserve an impartial and independent inquiry that includes an autopsy. He was well at the time of his arrest. Given the many grey areas and the scant credibility of the belated explanations so far provided, only an additional and transparent investigation will establish the facts.” RSF has established that Wazizi’s lawyer, was one of the last persons to see him alive. Wazizi told him his arrest was linked to comments he had made on the air criticizing the government’s handling of the unrest in Cameroon’s English-speaking regions. None of his lawyers and no member of his family was able to contact Wazizi after that meeting between him and Nkea in Muea police station. News Cameroonian reporter jailed since August, abandoned by justice system June 6, 2020 Cameroon’s bogus account of journalist’s death is “obscene,” RSF says News RSF has seen several photos of Wazizi that were reportedly taken in Yaoundé on 13 August 2019. They show injuries to a foot, hand and shoulder suggesting that he had been tortured while in custody during the preceding days. Ever since his arrest, Wazizi’s lawyers had constantly been requesting access to him and asking what charges were being brought against him. They were never told that he had died. CameroonAfrica Condemning abusesProtecting journalists ImpunityViolence Receive email alerts News Case against Amadou Vamoulké baseless, French lawyers tell Cameroon court May 19, 2021 Find out more Cameroonian journalist Paul Chouta sentenced and fined in defamation case Organisation May 31, 2021 Find out more The statement signed by the defence ministry’s press spokesman that was read out on the state radio and TV broadcaster CRTV yesterday fell far short of providing a credible explanation of how Wazizi came to die two weeks after his arrest in Buea, the capital of the English-speaking South-West Region, in August 2019. to go further April 23, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Golden Bucks Bound for State Title Game After Rout of Mattanawcook

first_imgBUCKSPORT — It was everything right about the Bucksport Golden Bucks’ football season wrapped up into one game — the Eastern Maine Championship game. The assured Bucks continued their undefeated streak Saturday at Carmichael Field with a 42-8 win over the third-ranked Mattanawcook Academy Lynx of Lincoln for the Little Ten Conference championship title.Bucksport (10-0) will compete in the Class D state championship game against Oak Hill of Wales at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Fitzpatrick Stadium in Portland. Oak Hill beat Dirigo of Dixfield 16-14 in the Western D title game.“It was a great day. These kids amaze me,” Bucksport coach Joel Sankey said after the game. “We have a lot of weapons. Today, you saw a lot more than you’ve seen all year.”This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textBucksport played to its full potential on both offense and defense, with four different Bucks scoring touchdowns and four different players snagging pass interceptions to keep the Lynx scoreless in the second half.“We didn’t want to go into this game thinking we were going to win,” Bucksport’s Jack Cyr said. “We just took it quarter by quarter.”Cyr notched the first points of the game with a 37-yard touchdown run to give Bucksport an early 7-0 lead in the first quarter.Mattanawcook answered back with a 44-yard scoring drive to put the Lynx up 8-7 early in the second period.Those were the final points Mattanawcook scored all day, with Bucksport’s defense shutting down quarterback Trysten Pelkey.While the Lynx remained immobile on offense, the Bucks went on a scoring run of 35 unanswered points. They scored three touchdowns in the second quarter to take control with a 28-8 halftime lead.Mattanawcook ended its season with a 9-2 record after having won just seven games over the previous three seasons combined.Bucksport will return to Portland for the second time in the last three years in hopes of winning the state title. In 2011, the Bucks lost to the Yarmouth Clippers 41-14 in the Class C state championship game.Find in-depth coverage of local news in The Ellsworth American. Subscribe digitally or in print. EHS names new boys’ soccer coach – July 13, 2016 Latest Posts Bio Latest posts by Taylor Vortherms (see all)center_img Part 2: When the injury is inside your head, some “don’t get it” – July 26, 2016 Part 1: Invisible, incapacitating concussions are sidelining high school athletes – July 19, 2016 Taylor VorthermsSports Editor at The Ellsworth AmericanTaylor Vortherms covers sports in Hancock County. The St. Louis, Missouri native recently graduated from the Missouri School of Journalism and joined The Ellsworth American in 2013.last_img read more

John Terry & Petr Cech injured for Premier League run-in

first_imgChelsea captain John Terry and goalkeeper Petr Cech will miss the rest of the Premier League season with injuries suffered in the Champions League semi-final first leg in Madrid.Terry went off with a foot problem and Cech injured his shoulder in the 0-0 draw with Atletico Madrid.Manager Jose Mourinho said: “Petr Cech’s season is over. Don’t ask me technically, but season over.”And John – we have to play the final for him to play with us.”The Premier League season concludes on Sunday 11 May, with the Champions League final in Lisbon on 24 May.Cech, 31, came off after 18 minutes after colliding with Raul Garcia at a corner, with 41-year-old Mark Schwarzer making his Champions League debut. Terry was replaced with 18 minutes left. Chelsea go to Premier League leaders Liverpool on Sunday before hosting Atletico in the second leg of the semi-final next Wednesday.Mourinho was without injured duo Samuel Eto’o (knee) and Eden Hazard (calf), while Branislav Ivanovic was suspended.Frank Lampard and John Mikel Obi were booked during Tuesday’s match and will miss the second leg.”We had problems before the game, we had problems during the game, we lost four players during the game, two with injuries, two with yellow cards, but we will fight,” added Mourinho.”Ivanovic is back, Schwarzer showed clearly that we can trust him. People that are not playing a lot, like for example Ashley Cole, put in an amazing performance.” And the Blues boss said he was satisfied with a first-leg result that leaves everything to play for.”We didn’t start the game thinking of a 0-0,” Mourinho said.”But the game goes in a certain direction where you feel you have to be safe, don’t concede and try to score in one of the few chances you create.Cech was injured when he landed heavily after tipping a corner over his crossbar “We go with a result that decides everything at Stamford Bridge.”Atletico boss Diego Simeone admitted his team struggled to break down their opponents but remained confident ahead of next Wednesday’s match.”It was impossible, they did their job really well and this leaves the qualification open,” said the Argentine.”It is true that they play at home where they feel comfortable, but we are going to go out to play. Next Wednesday we’ll be there to start playing.”They will be playing at home, they will be feeling better and we will have to wait till next week to see what happens.”last_img read more