(Photo supplied/Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians) Indiana’s pledging not to add any casinos in 16 northern Indiana counties, as part of a deal with the Native American-run casino in South Bend.The Pokagon Band’s Four Winds Casino is adding table games. It doesn’t need state approval to do that, but federal law calls for it to pursue a compact with the state to agree on terms for the operation.Gaming Commission executive director Sara Tait says the deal gives Indiana an eight-percent cut of the casino’s income, and South Bend a two-percent cut. In exchange, the state promises a 50-mile buffer zone with no new competing casinos.The existing casinos in Hammond and Michigan City can still expand on their existing property, but would be barred from relocating inland, as Gary’s casino is. The legislature has already authorized the Gary move, so it would be unaffected by the compact.Tait estimates the deal would bring Indiana 12-million dollars a year, but says about half of that is expected to be offset by decreased business at other casinos. The deal also calls for Indiana to set aside a million dollars of its share in a job training fund for Pokagon Band members.The state could still authorize a new northern Indiana casino or a Hammond or Michigan City expansion, but that would void the revenue-sharing agreement and restart negotiations. Tait notes without an agreement, the tribe can turn to the federal government for approval, which would give the state the same amount it currently gets from Four Winds’ slot machine operation: nothing.And Tait says the money is only part of the benefit to the state. The Pokagon Band would also agree to follow other state gambling regulations, such as banning chronic gamblers and not serving free drinks.The Senate has already voted to ratify the agreement. The House could vote this week. WhatsApp By Jon Zimney – March 23, 2021 0 356 Facebook Google+ Indiana has deal with Pokagon Band not to add casinos in 16 northern counties Previous articleBoulder Colorado officer killed in supermarket shooting was a Ball State graduateNext articleFree FAFSA completion event set for Ivy Tech on March 29 Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney. Pinterest Pinterest WhatsApp Twitter Facebook Twitter IndianaLocalNews Google+
Peralta was the third SC Chief Justice appointee of President Rodrigo Duterte after previously choosing Lucas Bersamin and Teresita Leonor De Castro./PN “He made many landmark decisions that reverberate to this time, which include the imposition of the death penalty on a policeman who used his service firearm to shoot an 11-year-old boy while flying his kite on a rooftop in People vs. Fallorina; the first conviction for plunder involving a cashier of the Bureau of Internal Revenue in People vs. Manalili; the first and only conviction of Qualified Bribery under Article 211-A of the Revised Penal Code, as amended, involving a substantial number of police officers in the case of suspected foreign drug-traffickers,” Panelo said. “We are certain that with Chief Justice Peralta at the helm of the Supreme Court, the Judiciary will continue to be well-managed as it thrives to uphold the principles of judicial excellence, integrity and independence,” Panelo said. According to Panelo, the Malacañang is confident that the judicial branch will effectively fulfill its core functions with Peralta, who will serve as the SC CJ for the next three years. He added that Peralta convicted the most number of accused involved in big time drug cases and other serious crimes. Vice President Leni Robredo is off to a good start one week into leading the government’s crackdown on illegal drugs, Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo says. PCOO Peralta’s track record is unquestionable, Panelo said, as he has served the judiciary for more than three decades in various capacities, a trial court judge, associate justice and presiding justice of the Sandiganbayan and associate justice of the SC. MANILA – The Supreme Court (SC) will remain independent under the tenure of newly-appointed Chief Justice Diosdado Peralta, Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said.
NEW DELHI: Former India cricketer Irfan Pathan stated that racism is not restricted to just the colour of the skin. Irfan, who played 120 ODIs and 29 Tests for India, said stopping someone from doing something just because he followed a different faith is also a type of racism. “Racism is not restricted to the colour of the skin. Not allowing to buy a home in a society just because you have a different faith is a part of racism too,” Irfan tweeted.Protest against racism across the world has intensified in the last few days which began following George Floyd’s death at the hands of a Minneapolis police personnel. Floyd, aged 46, died last month shortly after Derek Chauvin, a police officer, held him down with a knee on his neck though he repeatedly pleaded, “I can’t breathe,” and “please, I can’t breathe”. Former West Indies cricketer Darren Sammy recently claimed that he was subjected to racist slurs in the Sunrisers Hyderabad dressing room during his stint in the Indian Premier League. Sammy had expressed anger upon realising the meaning of the word ‘kaalu’ which he says was used to refer to him and Sri Lanka’s Thisara Perera when the pair played for SRH. India pacer Ishant Sharma’s 2014 social media post surfaced which corroborates Sammy’s claims. Ishant had shared a photo with then SRH teammates Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Dale Steyn and Sammy. His post read: “Me Bhuvi Kaluu and Gun Sunrisers.” IANSAlso Watch: OIL Authorities Say Efforts on To Control the Fire
“This year I think that was the biggest difference in my wrestling, was my mental game. Going into every match I was real relaxed, real calm. But before that, before this match, it was nothing but butterflies. I felt like I was going throw up, I was so scared I almost started crying.“But it’s just the atmosphere. It’s the true athletes that are able to just overcome that.”In the team competition, Penn State, led by 184-pound champion Quentin Wright, won its first NCAA wrestling title in 58 years by outpointing Cornell. The Nittany Lions finished with 107½ points to Cornell’s 93½.“In my mind, I’ve wanted to be a part of a national championship program since I started at Iowa State as a freshman in 1998,” Penn State coach Cael Sanderson said. “Having not been able to do that for so many years until here we are no and it’s finally happened.”Wright began the tournament as the ninth seed and won his first national title with a 5-2 decision over Lehigh’s Rob Hamlin.“It’s a great feeling,” Wright said. “It hasn’t hit me yet. I just got out of the match. But it’s going to get better for a long time.”The three-day event drew a record attendance of 104,260. HISTORY-MAKER—Arizona State’s Anthony Robles, right, poses after beating Iowa’s Matt McDonough in their 125-pound finals match, March 19, at the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum) PHILADELPHIA (AP)—Anthony Robles finished his NCAA wrestling career in history-making fashion. Robles, who was born without a right leg, took a 7-1 decision from Iowa sophomore Matt McDonough to win the 125-pound title at the NCAA wrestling championships March 19. The Arizona State senior got the only takedown in the first period of the match and worked a pair of tilts to secure five back points.“I had a lot of butterflies going out there,” said Robles, who admitted he’s most likely done as a competitive wrestler but wants to remain involved in one facet or another.