TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Paolo Maldini losing the confidence of AC Milan owners Elliottby Carlos Volcano7 days agoSend to a friendShare the lovePaolo Maldini is losing the confidence of AC Milan owners Elliott Management.Maldini returned to Milan last year to take up a director’s position. However, after overseeing his third coaching appointment, Maldini’s position is now in doubt.Fellow director Zvonimir Boban is in a more secure place and TMW says it was his decision to sack Marco Giampaolo.In contrast, Giampaolo had the confidence of Maldini.It’s also emerged that Elliott will demand a big January sale, with the need to cover a major reported debt.
CharityVision, a Utah-based non-profit providing medical equipment, clinics, vision screenings, eye surgeries, and training to doctors in poverty-stricken areas across the globe, is partnering with Golden Boy Promotions to host its second annual Fight Night fundraising event on Saturday, June 11 at 6:30pm at the Rail Event Center in Salt Lake City.Boxing legend, ten-time world champion in six weight classes and Golden Boy Promotions Chairman and CEO Oscar De La Hoya and host of “Extra” and boxing enthusiast Mario Lopez will participate in the night’s main event. CharityVision will also partner with Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions to put on three professional boxing undercard bouts, to be announced at a later date, which will precede the main event.“CharityVision is a great cause and I’m excited to be a part of this night for the second time,” said Mario Lopez. “I can’t wait to get into the ring with Oscar and have some fun with him, but most importantly, bring attention to the work that CharityVision does to give many deserving individuals the gift of sight. It’s a honor to be a part of their great work and we’re going to have a great night that will change many lives.”Josh Romney, CharityVision president, will serve as the night’s emcee and Jenn Blosil, a top 15 finalist on this season of American Idol, will sing the national anthem. Governor Mitt Romney, who participated in last year’s main event, will also be in attendance.With a $25 donation a commemorative Fight Night t-shirt is availableThis year’s black-tie event, which is using the hashtag #givesight25, is expected to raise $1 million, allowing CharityVision to perform 40,000 sight-restoring surgeries. At an average cost of $25, one person’s sight can be restored with a simple procedure. For about the same cost as lunch with a friend, a mother can see her children for the first time, a family can be lifted out of poverty because sight brings new opportunities, and hope can be brought back to families and communities. With a $25 donation a commemorative Fight Night t-shirt is available www.givesight25.com. There, donations of any amount can also be made. All proceeds benefit CharityVision and its work to restore sight.“I am excited to get back into the ring with a good friend for a great cause. CharityVision Fight Night is an incredible opportunity to give back to so many across the world that live with blindness but who could see with a simple, low-cost procedure,” said Oscar De La Hoya. “CharityVision’s work is changing lives, families and communities and I’m proud to be a part of an event that will raise funds to help restore sight for thousands.”Last year’s Fight Night main event, headlined by former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney and five-time heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield, raised $1 million. In 2015 Charity Vision saw almost 400,000 patients, donated over 70,000 pairs of glasses, and performed over 42,000 surgeries.For more information about Fight Night, visit www.fightnight.vision.
Kathleen MartensAPTN NewsA shocking online comment about Colten Boushie by an RCMP officer has the force investigating one of its own and others saying scrap the service altogether.“Disband the RCMP,” tweeted retired Vancouver police officer Lorimer Shenher with a link to Wednesday’s APTN story.“She is not the only one with that attitude,” Shenher added in a telephone interview Friday.“In Saskatchewan and Alberta – let’s face it – and in B.C. too, these kind of sentiments are pretty common among law enforcement.”APTN reported a female Mountie in Alberta posted Boushie “got what he deserved” on a private Facebook page called ‘News Stories that Matter to or May Impact RCMP’.Related: RCMP Facebook group claims Colten Boushie ‘got what he deserved’The shooting death of Boushie, from Saskatchewan’s Red Pheasant First Nation, and subsequent acquittal of farmer Gerald Stanley revealed a racial divide across Canada.“I’m not on Facebook myself but I would imagine these kinds of things have been going definitely since Colten was shot,” said Shenher, who worked with Indigenous people and members of the RCMP as lead investigator on the missing women investigation that eventually led to serial killer Robert Pickton.Shenher, who has since written a book about that case and blogs about reforming police culture, says the comment was “horrifying.”“This obviously affects the public’s trust in the RCMP and it affects Indigenous peoples’, I would venture to say, hope for any reconciliation.”The force has told APTN it is investigating the private page with 1,200 members that admitted an APTN reporter as a member who screen-grabbedthe shocking post and others. But it won’t comment further.Shenher thinks that’s a mistake. He says now would be a good time to do things differently – more transparently, for example – to rebuild relationships.“And, to show the RCMP are even sensitive to these issues.”Vice-chief Kimberly Jonathan says the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations in Saskatchewan has been assured the RCMP are taking this latest scandal seriously.“Despite the challenges, I can assure you that we’ve been in close contact with the RCMP,” she said Friday in Saskatoon, “and we’re working towards resolve and accountability for people who write and incite hate.”Although she didn’t know what the end result would be.“What that looks like, I guess, is dependent on the community. There’s so much that needs to be said.”The Boushie family and its supporters have been bombarded with hate speech since the not-guilty verdict came down Feb. 9.Rallies in their name are being held across Canada and politicians are promising to reform the justice system. Again.But only they can say how this latest attack feels on top of all the other discrimination they say they have had to deal with. Although they weren’t available for comment Friday.“We’re very aware of the effects,” Jonathan added. “We’re very aware of how huge and troubled this could be.”APTN has made numerous attempts to contact the officer who made the controversial post on Facebook. But she was not the only person to make questionable comments on the page.An APTN reporter took screen captures of numerous conversations about the trial, defence and verdict. Officers appear to use their real names, describe their detachment areas, name the provinces they work in, and complain about issues of under-staffing and Indigenous communities.“If there was a failing in this trial, it was with the law as it currently stands, not the jury or verdict,” said a male in a post on Feb. 14.“It’s not about race,” a female posted a few hours later. “I don’t care if someone is green or has a tail, if you trespass with intent to harm, steal or cause damage, how can you expect bad things not to happen?”There are links to media stories on the trial. And debate about the issue of the lack of visibly Indigenous members of the jury.“So the family and friends are now going to drive the karma bus and become vigilantes for justice? That’s the sentiment I’m getting from this…as if the people from that area haven’t been terrorized by these upstanding model citizens off the Rez?” added the female APTN has confirmed works at a rural Alberta detachment.Shenher says the officer may find sympathetic ears among her peers but to him it sounds like she should leave the field.Although he knows that’s likely to backfire.“I know that firing them probably isn’t going to decrease the world’s population of racists by one or two because then they’re just going to be bitter, fired racists,’ he said.“But they’re still going to be racists and they’re just going to be bitter because they’re going to say, ‘Oh, somebody played the race card …and now I don’t have a job.’”[email protected]
EDMONTON – A union that represents 3,000 oilsands workers at Suncor Energy sites in northeastern Alberta has won a court injunction against random drug testing.Unifor Local 707-A had argued that random testing would be a violation of workers’ rights and privacy.Calgary-based Suncor (TSX:SU) has said random tests are needed to bolster safety and wanted to start the program this month.In his ruling, Queen’s Bench Justice Paul Belzil said the privacy rights of employees are just as important as safety.“In my view the balance of convenience favours granting the injunction,” Belzil said in a written judgment released Thursday.“The request by Suncor to increase the scope of drug and alcohol testing by implementing random testing would necessarily impact employees who have no drug and alcohol issues and who have not been involved in workplace incidents.”Belzil noted that Suncor already has non-random drug and alcohol testing. He said granting the injunction would not result in an unsafe work environment.He said both parties agree that the Suncor workplace is dangerous, but agree on virtually nothing else.Sneh Seetal, a Suncor spokeswoman, said the company would be filing an immediate and expedited appeal of the injunction ruling.“We are surprised and disappointed by the decision, especially in light of the evidence that we put forward of the pressing safety concerns associated with the ongoing alcohol and drug problems in the workplace in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo,” Seetal said from Calgary.“Preventing Suncor from taking steps to address known safety hazards associated with workplace alcohol and drug use is not reasonable.”Ken Smith, president of the union local, said Unifor members are happy with the judge’s decision.“We are very pleased with the ruling and that weight was given to a person’s dignity on the job and that human rights are being upheld for the time being,” he said from Fort McMurray.“Worker safety is the No. 1 priority here.”Suncor and the union have been battling over random drug tests since 2012. Unifor has sought leave to appeal an earlier court ruling to the Supreme Court of Canada.Belzil said if leave to appeal is granted, both sides should co-operate to resolve the case as quickly as possible.If the high court decides not to hear the case, Suncor and Unifor should go to arbitration, he suggested.Suncor presented evidence in court last month that 59 union employees have tested positive for alcohol or drugs over the last four years.The company said drugs — including marijuana, ecstasy, cannabis resin, cocaine, crack cocaine, methamphetamine — and prescription pills such as oxycodone have been found at Suncor operations and work camps.The company’s oilsands projects around Fort McMurray operate 24 hours a day, every day of the year. Employees work 12-hour shifts operating some of the biggest and most complicated industrial equipment in the world.
FORT ST. JOHN B.C. – The Fort St. John and District Chamber of Commerce is seeking a qualified member of the chamber to serve a two-year term on the Board of Directors starting in the 2018/2019 year.Benefits to serving as a Director, are to hold a leadership role in the community, creating new ideas that will affect the Fort St. John region and the opportunity to attract new and sustainable businesses.Duties as the candidate include attending monthly meetings, be a member of at least one committee and attending chamber functions such as mixers, luncheons and special events. Chamber of Commerce is a not-for-profit organization comprised of businesses, professionals, residents and community groups working together to ensure a healthy economic and socio-economic base to benefit the entire community.If you are interested in making a nomination or entering your name, call the office at 250.785.6037 or Email [email protected] can also visit their website; https://fsjchamber.com/
Lucknow: Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav on Thursday asked the BJP whether it was pursuing a “jhoot and boot” campaign, a day after the party was embarrassed by its two legislators who attacked each other during a meeting, with one of them using his shoe.By “jhoot” (lies), Yadav appeared to be referring to the multi-crore Rafale aircraft deal, which the Opposition has alleged involved corruption. His comments came a day after the BJP-led government at the Centre told the Supreme Court that documents related to the agreement had been “stolen” from the Defence Ministry. Also Read – How a psychopath killer hid behind the mask of a devout laity!”First there were parallel negotiations. Then the (Rafale) files were stolen. Meanwhile in Uttar Pradesh, MP-MLA used shoes for dispute resolution at a meeting to discuss development. Now BJP workers are asking their leaders as to what campaign is on? The ‘jhoot’ and the ‘boot’ or the youth and the booth?” Yadav said in Lucknow. His “boot” dig was aimed at the fracas in Sant Kabir Nagar, where two elected representatives of the BJP hit each other during a meeting in presence of minister of in-charge of the district, Ashutosh Tandon, son of Bihar Governor Lalji Tandon. Also Read – Encounter under way in Pulwama, militant killedOne of the legislators involved in the fight, caught on tape, used his shoe to hit the other. On Thursday, Yadav’s ally in Uttar Pradesh for the general election, BSP chief Mayawati, too had a dig at the Centre’s disclosure about “stolen” Rafale jet deal documents. Mayawati said in a tweet it was a “very strange and irresponsible chowkidari” that the documents were “stolen”. “The Modi govt made a sensational disclosure in the Hon’ble Supreme Court that secret documents pertaining to Rafale fighter deal were stolen from the Defence Ministry.” ‘Very strange & irresponsible chowkidari. Is national security & interest in the safe hands? Think long & loud,” she tweeted. Later in a statement, she said it was “most irresponsible, most unfortunate and shameful” that Rafale deal-related documents were stolen from the ministry. She asked the Modi government to apologise for failing on the matter of national security. “Before making the stunning revelations (about documents being stolen) in the Supreme Court, the Narendra Modi government ought to have apologised to the nation for failing on the matter of national security,” the BSP chief said in the statement. She said the Supreme Court should now get the entire matter probed under its supervision to satisfy the country.
Kolkata: Anil Kumar Jha, Chairman, CIL chaired an interactive–cum–outreach session with the General Managers of the top performing areas of CIL at its corporate headquarters in Kolkata. CIL Chairman congratulated the Area General Managers for their outstanding performance and urged them to plan better for the year 2019-20 enabling them to achieve newer heights. D K Nayek, GM, Rajmahal, ECL, A K Singh, GM, Kusunda, BCCL, M K Agarwal, GM, Piparwar, CCL, S Mishra, GM, Jayant, NCL, S K Gomasta, GM, Nigahi, NCL, U A Kaole, GM, Wani, WCL, S K Pal, GM, Gevra, SECL, B K Chandora, GM, Dipka, SECL, Ranjan P Sah, GM, Kusmunda, SECL, R P Gupta, GM, Lakhanpur, MCL, and N Kalla, GM, Basundhara, MCL participated in the session. Twelve areas of CIL comprising of Piparwar area, CCL, Rajmahal area, ECL, Wani area, WCL, Kusunda area, BCCL, Gevra, Kusmunda and Dipka areas of SECL, Jagannath, Basundhara and Lakhanpur area of MCL and Nigahi and Jayant area of NCL produced 294.25 million tonnes (provisional) of coal which is 48.47% of CIL’s total production of 607 million tonnes (provisional) in FY 2018-19.
There have been a lot of rumours going around for Lazio’s now infamous duo Sergej Milinkovic-Savic and Ciro Immobile’s transfer to a Premier League side.However, it seems their sporting director Igli Tare is not so interested in selling them, or at least this is what it looks like, judging by his reaction.Lazio have been trying to catch up and secure a Champions League spot for the next season. The manager Simone Inzaghi has been the main reason the team has been thriving and not just the team as a whole, but players individually as well.Ciro Immobile relieved to end Italy goal-drought Andrew Smyth – September 9, 2019 Striker Ciro Immobile was a relieved man after finally ending his two-year Italy goal-drought during Sunday’s 2-1 win over Finland.Milinkovic-Savic joined Lazio in 2015 and has been able to blossom into one of Europe’s most perspective youngsters right now. He has scored 13 goals and provided 6 assists. Also, the fact that he is 1.91m tall is not to be forgotten either.Immobile, who has spent time in Torino, Borussia Dortmund and Sevilla, has been able to score the amazing 41 goals in 46 games – following Salah pretty closely.“€130 million offer for Milinkovic and Immobile? I do not read the newspapers and I do not listen to the radio, because we are concentrated only on the field,” was Igli Tare’s reaction when asked for the duo, according to HITC.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppKingston, Jamaica, October 24, 2016 – Discussions are under way between the Government and some CARICOM countries to establish sport cooperation programs in the region. The primary aim of the program is to facilitate the exchange of knowledge and technical skills of physical education teachers and coaches.Speaking at a recent press conference in Kingston, Minister of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, Hon. Olivia Grange, said a delegation headed by Prime Minister the Most Hon. Andrew Holness held meetings with Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados, and St. Lucia at the recent Rio Olympic Games in Brazil, to discuss the collaborative strategies for sport development.“As Minister with responsibility for sport, I am aware that we have physical education teachers and coaches who are underutilized, and in some of our neighboring countries there is a need to increase their cadre of technical skills in physical education and coaching,” she noted.Ms. Grange said that local sports academy G.C. Foster College of Physical Education and Sport, in St. Catherine, is being proposed as the main partner institution. Under the cooperation deal, trained G.C. Foster graduates will have the opportunity to take up teaching positions at educational institutions in those countries.The program will also offer scholarships to students from those states to pursue specialized sport programs at G.C. Foster College. Meanwhile, Miss Grange said the delegation’s visit to Brazil also provided an opportunity for follow-up discussions on the Jamaica Brazil Sport Cooperation Agreement.The draft document is now under review by the Brazilian government, the Minister noted. “Brazil over many years has been an excellent sport partner, and with this new proposed agreement, we intend to broaden our relations and maximize the benefits in scholarships offered by Brazil and in other areas of development,” Miss Grange said. Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp