“The notion that a small cabal of anti-Dean Dons can censor the Tribunal’s report is an attempt at self-serving protection for themselves because they are severely criticised in the Appendices of the report.” Although details of the affair have been hard to come by, the report goes into detail and contains extensive comment from members of the college’s administration and academic body, largely anonymous, as well as figures from other colleges. The dean himself is reported to have spent £400,000 of his own money on his defence. When Percy’s predecessor as Dean, Christopher Lewis, was asked whether he felt overworked in the role, he said, “No. You were busy.” According to the investigation, the Dean is perceived to be part of the “dwindling talent pool” within the Church, and “a low-key figure compared to the distinguished academics and civil servants who headed many other colleges” by fellows. An investigation by the Financial Times into the ongoing dispute between the governing body of Christ Church and the Dean, The Very Reverend Martyn Percy, criticizes both parties heavily. The investigation contains details about the current environment within college. It reports academics breaking down in tears over the dispute, the Dean refusing to attend meetings with certain people present, and clerical staff watching who sits with who at dinner as a way of determining loyalties. The investigation concurs with the recent complaint made by former Conservative minister Jonathan Aitken to the Charity Commission which criticised the college for spending up to £2 mil- lion on the case. One anonymous source said: “I go around hoping I won’t meet some people… If I meet them, we stare straight ahead so we don’t look at one another.” The Charity Commission replied with a statement of their own, saying, “We can confirm that we told the trustees of Christ Church to undertake a review of the charity’s governance.” “We are aware that numerous inaccurate and misleading comments have been made in recent weeks, but unfortunately we are not in a position to address these at this time as it would be inappropriate to comment before the independent review has concluded.” The investigation argues that the crisis which has swept Christ Church over the past year began with the Dean’s request for a salary rise, including a threat to adjust his availability and skip a fundraising tour to the United States. “It would be morally pusillanimous to go along with the cabal’s redaction attempt.” Christ Church gave Cherwell a statement in response, which said, “All at Christ Church are focused on the work of the College and Cathedral and are committed to its future success. As part of this, Christ Church is currently embarking on an independent review of its governance arrangements, and we will be working closely with the Charity Commission during this process.” “It is good practice for all charities to undertake such a review from time to time. We will not be involved in the review directly, but we expect the trustees to report to us on its outcome.” For his part, Percy cast himself as overworked and underappreciated. He said in an email that the college has a “culture of unpleasantness” and that “I have not received the smallest hint — not even a single sentence — of gratitude for my work”. Mr Aitken was critical of the attempt to withhold details of the dispute from the public, telling Cherwell, “Like many members of the Christ Church Alumni Association, I regard it as a scandal of governance that the full Govern- ing Body of the College has been refused sight of a full, unredacted copy of the Tribunal’s findings and reasons for clearing the Dean of all charges.”
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran’s foreign ministry says the sailors from a South Korean tanker seized in the Persian Gulf by Iranian troops last month are free to leave the country on humanitarian grounds. State TV on Tuesday cited ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh, who said a legal investigation into the tanker and its captain would continue. Iran maintains the tanker and its 20-member crew were stopped because of the vessel’s “environmental pollution,” a claim rejected by the vessel’s owner. The crew, including sailors from Indonesia, Myanmar, South Korea and Vietnam, were in custody at the port city of Bandar Abbas near the Strait of Hormuz.
Max Carter’s Coffee County farm doesn’t impress you with its neatness. “I like myfarming on the trashy side,” Carter chuckled as he checked his cotton and peanutfields.The beauty of Carter’s farm, though, is beginning to catch the eye of more than onebeholder. The scruffy look of crops planted into the stubble of previous crops hides asimple success a growing number of farmers are embracing.”It’s hard to say for sure how many farmers are using conservation tillage,”said Glen Harris, an Extension Service crop and soil scientist with the University ofGeorgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.”We’ve been saying 15 percent of row crops,” Harris said. “Last year,though, I really think it might have been as high as 20 percent or even 25 percent.” Other than Carter, only the insects work his fields. “After I got into no-till,all my help wanted to work at Wal-mart or uptown, so I started doing it all myself,”he said. “And I take a swing at a golf ball once in a while.”Carter won’t say he’s making big money. “We’re saving money, naturally, from lessplowing and less chemicals,” he said. “If we’re going out of business, we’re atleast going out slower.”Improved Soil QualityHe and Harris agree that conservation tillage’s single greatest benefit is improvedsoil quality.”Everything goes back to building the organic matter in the soil,” Harrissaid. “That’s a real challenge, especially in our sandy south Georgia soils. It’s nota one-year thing. But a farmer should see a real difference in three to five years.”Carter figures the new millennium will see more of this low-input farming.”Conservation-tillage people will be the ones to bring the flag out when it’s allover,” he said.”They can stay longer than a person who’s wearing out tractors and letting histopsoil leave while he’s sleeping,” he said. “If you don’t have a healthytopsoil, you’ll lose somewhere — now or the next generation.” Photo: Glen Harris Photo: Glen Harris This story is another in a weekly series called “Planting the Seed: Science for the New Millennium.” These stories feature ideas and advances in agricultural and environmental sciences with implications for the future. In conservation tillage, farmers use special equipment to loosen the soil in narrow grooves or strips soil and plant rows of summer crops into the stubble of previous winter grain crops like this field of rye. It may not be the prettiest farming, but these cotton rows emerging from the stubble of a winter rye crop are economically attractive to a growing number of farmers. Planting in StripsTraditionally, farmers make as many as five passes over their land in the process oftilling their soil and planting their crops.Carter and others who use conservation tillage don’t do all that plowing. They usestrip tillage equipment to plant rows of summer crops into the stubble of small-grainwinter crops.”It saves a lot of time and money,” Harris said. “It has a lot of otherbenefits, too. It greatly improves the soil’s water-holding and nutrient-holding capacity.For years, we promoted it as a means to control soil erosion. But now, the economics aremaking it catch on.”Carter said he started his “ugly farming” on a small scale. “I startedplaying with this with soybeans behind wheat 24 years ago,” he said. “I’ve beenfarming since 1954. I call myself doing it wrong for 20 years. We plowed these fields atremendous amount. We built ponds and pumped water.Less Plowing, Watering”And finally, after 20 years,” he said, “we realized we weren’t gettinga lot accomplished. Over the past 24 years, we’ve grown into a no-till situation.”Now, Carter has crops growing on his 200 acres virtually year-round. He usually makesnearly two bales of cotton per acre and has equally impressive peanut yields. But hespends far less money and effort to produce his crops.”We don’t irrigate anymore since we quit plowing,” he said. “We sold offthe irrigation equipment. We maintain enough straw on the land to give us a kind of mulchto preserve the water that falls.”Less Labor, TooNear the end of the season, Carter still hadn’t put any insecticide on his cotton orpeanuts. “We attribute that to beneficial insects,” he said. “They come inand work the fields.”
Editorial: Secrecy in Utah Around an Embarrassing State Coal-Export Scheme FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享From the Salt Lake Tribune:When accommodating murky projects, it is standard operating procedure in the Utah Legislature to wait until the last days of the session to unveil a complicated bill intended to dodge the projects’ legal problems.Mission accomplished this week for Sen. Stuart Adams, whose Senate Bill 246 is aimed at giving $51 million in state money to a private developer for access to a California port to ship Utah coal to Asia.The Oakland coal port project, which faces steep opposition in the Bay Area and may never happen, had already drawn in four Utah counties with coal mines. The counties’ first shot stalled last year over legal troubles because their plan would send $53 million in Utah Permanent Community Impact Board money to the developer. That money comes from royalties on minerals, including coal, and is intended to build roads and other infrastructure to mitigate the impact of mineral development.In this case, that intent was turned on its head by using the funds to not mitigate but instead to encourage more impact here by spending the money in California. (Throughout the process, port proponents have been dodgy about its real purpose. They say the bulk-loading facility also could be used to export potash, salt, alfalfa or copper, but none of those Utah commodities are exported in anything close to the million-ton quantities the port would handle.)The Utah Attorney General’s Office has had almost a year to sign off on the deal, but it hasn’t. That is a pretty good sign that state lawyers see problems, although of course no one has said that publicly.Then, boom, here comes legislation, introduced nine days before the 2016 session ends. SB246 involves sending state transportation money to the Oakland project, and then still using the Impact Board money to pay back the state. Is that legal? Hard to say, but legislators are voting on it. Gov. Gary Herbert has been encouraging of the project, although his spokesman says he, too, is only now seeing the bill and can’t commit to Adams’ solution.So why all the secrecy? Some of this is just politics as usual, but could it also be that Utah is a little shy about its global-warming denial? Our coal mines are losing their domestic markets as the nation converts to cleaner fuels. That has political leaders, from the governor on down, looking across the Pacific. Even as lung-challenged China cuts back on coal, other Asian nations are building more coal-fired power plants, often with little regard to their carbon footprint. (And those nations also are mining more of their own massive coal reserves, which makes Utah coal less attractive.)Utah has a bright future as participant in the world economy, but it’s going to be tough to live off floating a $42-per-ton commodity to the other side of the globe, especially when that commodity is falling in value because it harms the planet and its inhabitants.Do we really want that to be our calling card to the world? No, which is why this is supposed to be a secret.Editorial: Late legislation furthers coal port’s cloudy process
28SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month which means it’s an excellent time to make sure there aren’t any unseen forces within your credit union that have nefarious plans for your members’ money.Earlier this year, Wired Magazine wrote about the biggest cybersecurity threats for 2015. Three of these are indeed scary prospects for the credit union industry, but the key is to make sure you are doing everything you can to prevent these scenarios:Data Destruction: Malware exists that erases data and boot records, so it is vitally important to make sure you have an excellent data backup plan.Bank Card Breaches: This is a threat that isn’t going away any time soon, so it is important to be moving towards tokenization technologies to prevent this. NAFCU has partnered with MasterCard to help credit unions move towards this. For more information you can check out this webinar from earlier this year here.Third Party Breaches: The data breach at Target stores is an excellent example of why you need a strong Third Party Risk Management Plan. For more information on this, check our recent webinar or blog posts here or here. continue reading »
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Bridgeman Downs has three pools in homes for sale for three very different budgets.IT’S that time of year when property buyers have one particular thing in mind – cooling down.For those trying to beat the heat, a swimming pool can suddenly jump to the top of the “must have’’ list.We’ve taken a dive into the latest real-estate listings to find homes with pools that will meet all budgets.And you don’t have to be looking at a million dollar price tag.For the entry level price of $395,000, a three-bedroom townhouse is listed at 7/6 Myrtle Crescent, Bridgeman Downs. Yes, you have to share your refreshing dip with other tenants, but you have the added bonus of not having to fish out the leaves and finely balance the chemicals.The townhouse is in the Bridgeman Manor Complex, with new carpets and open-plan living areas.It is listed through Natasha D’Arcy, of Elders Real Estate – Metro.If your budget steers you more towards a family home, then a tri-level property at 3 Saturn Crescent, Bridgeman Downs, has a sparkling kidney shaped pool that might be just right for you. More from newsFor under $10m you can buy a luxurious home with a two-lane bowling alley5 Apr 2017Military and railway history come together on bush block24 Apr 20193 Saturn Crescent, Bridgeman DownsSet on 1474sq m for offers of more than $775,000, this home shows your money can buy a lot in Bridgeman Downs – and with the added benefit of a cooling pool.The home has a large formal entry, which leads through to a formal lounge room with a pitched ceiling and, for when the weather turns cooler, an open fireplace.Michael Spillane from Innov8 Property Sales Albany Creek is marketing the property.For those who have more cash to splash, then 19 Camelot Place in Bridgeman Downs has a custom-made pool.Listed for $1.69 million, the five-bedroom home is on 1733sq m of manicured grounds.The home is in one of the most prestigious streets in Bridgeman Downs and is surrounded by other multi million-dollar properties.Of the five bedrooms, two feature ensuites and walk-in robes while the master bedroom has an ensuite with a spa bath.There are 3m ceilings in the living areas and there is a home office with a separate entry.Regardless of budget there is always a way to make sure you stay cool when the heat goes crazy.The home is listed through Brian McGrath of Ray White – Chermside.
What would you ask President Obama who is in Kenya for the Global entrepreneurial summit if you could?Well, that’s exactly the question we posed on our social media pages.CCTV’s Kathryn Ogunde takes a look at the responses
“Mahigitna anim na taon na itong modernisasyon ng transport sa Boracay. Hindi natin dapati-delay itong programa. May tricycle operators na hindi nag-renew ng kanilang franchises dahilalam nila matutuloy ang e-trike program,” he added. KALIBO, Aklan – Amid the campaign forjeepney modernization, the local government of Malay is looking to graduallyphase out tricycles next. “Isasa mga advantage ng e-trikeproject ay mabawasan ang problema natinsa environment, health atpollution,” Bautista said. (With a reportfrom Akean Forum/PN) The Municipal Traffic Code requires e-trikedrivers and operators to secure franchises with the Municipal Transport andFranchising Regulatory Board before they are allowed to operate. “Kailanganmay total phase out na ng mgatricycles sa Boracay mula Nov. 19 hanggang Dec. 31 this year. Impound natin ang mga ito pag mahuli sa Enero at i-transport sa mainlandMalay,” Bautista said. He said that then former mayor CecironCawaling issued Executive Order No. 007 on Feb. 1, 2018 for the full enforcementof the e-trike program, but the Sangguniang Bayan requested for the suspensionof the implementation due to the temporary closure of Boracay. Bautista has issued Executive Order No.40 series of 2019 on Nov. 11 enforcing the guidelines and policieson electric tricycles (e-trike) program. The gradual replacement of conventionaltricycles in Malay, Aklan was introduced in 2013 to promote cleaner andefficient vehicles, lessen noise pollution and environment-friendly mode oftransport. According to Malay acting mayor FloribarBautista, gasoline-fueled tricycles plying in Boracay Island and the town’smajor thoroughfares will be replaced by electronic tri-wheels.
MANILA – It is government officials and not medical frontliners that Sen. Cynthia Villar was referring to in her earlier statement about “working harder.” The senator over the weekend rejected the appeal of health workers to enforce stricter quarantine measures against the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic. Villar made the clarification on Sunday after drawing flak from netizens for dismissing calls from the medical community to revert Metro Manila to enhanced community quarantine (ECQ). “We have to work harder and better, but I am not referring in particular to the medical workers—our frontliners. We are referring to all of us and DOH (Department of Health) and Philhealth (Philippine Health Insurance Corp.) in particular,” Villar said. Villar also said that she recognized the sacrifices that medical front liners had to make in order to respond to the COVID-19 cases in the country. In her radio interview on Saturday, Villar said: “Hindi na siguro (dapat ibalik sa ECQ ang Metro Manila). Pagbutihin nila trabaho nila. Hindi puwedeng isara ang ekonomiya kasi kung ‘di naman mamamatay sa COVID, mamamatay naman sa gutom ang tao.” “The Task Force and the LGUs will have to work harder in trying to trace and manage movements of people and businesses to prevent more infections, and at the same time, be mindful of the people’s desire to earn a living,” she added. “We in Congress have just passed the Bayanihan package 2, after intense debates, to provide health and financial support to the people. The government’s economic team will have to work harder to raise the money to fund the package,” she said. Villar clarified that her statement was not aimed at medical front liners but at government officials, including her. “There is so much room for improvement in the government’s response to curb the transmission of the disease,” she added. “We all want to be safe and COVID-free. All of us are doing a difficult balancing act to keep people safe and alive. We all need to keep our jobs, the economy, to do our respective roles to sustain this. All of us have to work harder and better,” she further said./PN